The University of Denver is building an advancement enterprise that mirrors the excellence of our great institution. Advancement efforts at DU have a tremendous impact through our relationships with DU’s remarkable students, dedicated donors, inspiring alumni, engaged families, and wonderful friends. DU is committed to building and fostering a culture of deep engagement and philanthropy in support of our institution as we implement the DU IMPACT 2025 vision. As a part of that effort, we are continuing to grow a team of collaborative, curious, results-oriented, and mission-driven advancement professionals who value inclusivity and who possess a deep respect for one another and for our shared profession.
The University of Denver is seeking a talented professional to join our Advancement Creative Engagement team as the Assistant Director of Digital Marketing. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic, growing and purposeful enterprise united around a compelling vision charted by Chancellor Rebecca Chopp and Vice Chancellor of Advancement Armin Afsahi.
The Assistant Director reports directly to the Director of Engagement Marketing within the Creative Engagement marketing team and leads digital communications efforts for Advancement. With the primary audiences being the DU global network (alumni, families, students, supporters, and other friends of the University), this role maintains primary responsibility for: producing and deploying email marketing materials and event registration forms; managing website content and ensuring brand adherence while maintaining the quality and integrity of online destinations and communities; overseeing design and content for interactive marketing elements including websites, ads and email campaigns; proposing communications guidelines and standard operating procedures; tracking metrics and providing analysis quantifying the success of digital efforts; providing support to Advancement administrators of digital marketing tools; and serving as a liaison to external vendors and campus partners such as University Technology Services.
This position requires initiative, attention to detail, accountability, confidentiality, excellent use of judgment in all matters, project management skills, a commitment to partnership with Advancement colleagues across the University and beyond, and the ability to balance competing priorities and work under deadline.
- Direct the development and production of digital communications for Advancement as well as other schools/units requiring assistance and/or support with alumni outreach efforts.
- Serve as primary owner, editor and content creator/coordinator for newsletters and other email marketing efforts, as well as event registration forms, using the digital marketing suite (currently iModules Encompass).
- Analyze data and analytics to track and report marketing success as well as to inform content development and platform strategies.
- Monitor and analyze University-wide communications activity and provide instruction and best practices where needed.
- Serve as an internal expert on email best practices and open rate strategies including email design, subject lines, A/B and multivariate testing and email analytics.
Website and Online Community
- Serve as primary web content manager for Advancement’s various websites, keeping content up to date with a high level of quality assurance and adherence to university brand and content standards.
- Propose and contribute to strategy relating to the updating and maintenance of Advancement websites.
- Support Advancement’s collaboration with DU’s Division of Marketing and Communications on efforts including site-wide updates and du.edu redesigns.
- Lead effective, data-driven use of digital communications and engagement tools through close partnership with the Advancement Business Intelligence and IT teams as well as University Technology Services as necessary.
Training Materials, Sessions, Guidelines
- Design and institute onboarding processes for new digital marketing administrators.
- Develop and implement email/event marketing training in conjunction with IT to support strategic and effective uses of digital communications tools across DU.
- Establish best practices and propose digital marketing policies where necessary.
- Schedule and execute periodic in-person training sessions for new and existing users.
- Develop and distribute regular written communications in coordination with Advancement IT, relating to product releases and updates, training opportunities, digital marketing best practices and other pertinent learning opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with others in Creative Engagement to support marketing efforts, including those related to online advertising, paid search, content marketing, banner ads, and paid social media content.
- Additionally, this position requires flexibility, initiative to develop and/or take on other duties and projects, willingness and availability to support other efforts of Advancement.
- Represent the interests of Advancement in a variety of marketing and communications roles, including participating in the University Marketing and Communications monthly Confab meetings and serving on Advancement and campus-wide cross-functional teams.
- Model “One DU” leadership.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven success in delivering effective engagement marketing materials on time and with high quality assurance.
- Superior interpersonal, client and partnership skills, in addition to excellent verbal, written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to manage time, meet sometimes tight project deadlines, and develop short- and long-term goals.
- Ability to investigate and analyze new information and draw conclusions.
- Copyediting and proofreading skills.
- E-mail and/or digital marketing experience including familiarity with CAN/SPAM Act.
- Applicant must be highly organized, detail oriented and capable of thriving in a high-volume non-profit marketing environment.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 3 years of digital communications experience, specifically email marketing.
- Facility with production and distribution of digital analytics (web, email, social).
- Experience with iModules Encompass or other similar digital marketing and community-engagement software platforms.
- Digital design skills, including capabilities with HTML and CSS.
- Bachelor's degree in communications/marketing.
- Experience working in a creative agency or similar client driven setting focused on marketing and communications campaigns and projects.
- Experience in higher education or similarly complex non-profit organization.
- Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) Wednesday, May 23, 2018
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
NOTE: The online system is limited to uploading 10 files. Please combine content if necessary to get all content uploaded.
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.