Position Details: Gustavus Adolphus College invites applications for a full-time, one-semester position of Visiting Instructor (or Assistant Professor with appropriate qualifications) in the Department of Geography to begin September 1, 2020 and ending December 30, 2020.
Institution Information: Gustavus Adolphus College seeks employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. The Gustavus Acts strategic plan renews our commitment to equip students to lead purposeful lives, and to act on the great challenges of our time by diversifying and expanding the Gustavus community and delivering a distinctive and integrated liberal arts education. We are committed to fostering a community that embodies the value of a liberal arts education rooted in heritage and pluralism. We engage in this work at a coeducational, private, Lutheran (ELCA), residential, national liberal arts college of 2200 students.
The mission of the Gustavus Adolphus College Geography Department is to create a community that nurtures knowledge, skills, and values that guide us in an increasingly complex and interdependent world. Through innovative teaching and scholarship, we seek to cultivate in our students a critical awareness of human-environment relationships, an understanding of the varied dimensions of global change, and respect for the diversity of places and people. We are committed to applying geographic knowledge to build an economically, socially, and environmentally just world.
Major/Essential Functions: The one semester teaching assignment will be 3.5 courses. Primary teaching responsibilities will include introductory GIS and remote sensing of the environment.
- PhD or Masters degree in geography (or a related field);
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching;
- Evidence of a commitment to undergraduate teaching and student advising; and
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to pedagogical methods that enable students across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential.
- Experience teaching GIS and remote sensing.
Application Procedures: To apply, visit https://gustavus.edu/jobs and complete the online application. The documents that must be uploaded include the following:
- Letter of application that addresses the position qualifications;
- Curriculum vitae;
- A brief (one page) statement of teaching philosophy;
- Transcripts (scanned copies acceptable); and
- The names and contact information for three professional references (at least one must be able to address teaching experience and effectiveness).
For full consideration, applications must be received by April 1, 2020. While applications may be accepted after this date, it is not guaranteed that they will be considered. At this time, please only upload the required documents listed above; finalists will be asked to submit sample syllabi and student evaluations. Incomplete applications will not be considered by the search committee.
Gustavus Adolphus College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities.