Department: School of Arts & Humanities
Type: Faculty, Full-time, Tenure-Track
Stephens College invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professor to teach theory and application courses in the undergraduate Communication Design program. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to visually communicate beyond the traditional graphic design realm and have a background in fields such as interaction design, user experience, human computer interface, web/mobile interfaces, and the ability to balance artistic fundamentals with emerging technologies. The successful candidate will serve as Program Chair to re-vision the Communication Design program, provide organizational leadership, and work closely with other programs within the School of Arts and Humanities to develop core and interdisciplinary courses.
- Serve as Program Chair in the Communication Design program teaching 9 credit hours per semester (full-time undergraduate faculty teaching load is 12 credit hours per semester – Program Chairs receive one course release each semester).
- Provide academic advising to undergraduate students.
- Provide service to the college and profession.
- Assist in the development of new curricula and programs within the School of Arts and Humanities.
- Maintain active research, scholarship and/or creative professional practice in the field.
Stephens College is committed to the promotion of diversity and thus the candidate should facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. Candidates should have an understanding and knowledge of multicultural and diversity issues, and their potential applications to pedagogy, programming, and service activity.
- Earned PhD or MFA in Communication Design or related field from an accredited College or University.
- Experience teaching at the collegiate or university level.
- Demonstrated engagement in service to the school, college, university, community and/or profession.
- Knowledge of and experience with computer-mediated technologies and core software applications relevant to the communication design discipline (e.g., Macintosh OS, Adobe Creative Suite).
- Strong conceptual and formal design skills.
- Well versed with User Experience (UX) and User Interface (UI) design, motion graphics, infographics, and other industry standards and best practices.
We seek applicants with a broad vision of the future of Communication Design and the ability to articulate that vision.
Stephens College offers excellent benefits, including vacation/holiday/sick pay, health/dental/life insurance, tuition waiver and College-paid retirement plan.
Stephens College is a women’s college proudly located in Columbia, Missouri, home to a flagship public university and two private colleges. Since its founding in 1833, Stephens has been offering innovative, career-focused programs grounded in the liberal arts with a focus on creative arts and health sciences. The faculty take a hands-on, experiential approach to education, making sure students get both quality classroom instruction and external work experiences that complement their coursework. Graduates are prepared to become leaders and innovators in a rapidly changing world. Stephens also provides graduate, online and certificate programs to women and men as part of its commitment to lifelong learning.
The College community prides itself on fostering a close-knit faculty atmosphere and on providing a welcoming, learning-centered environment for students. The learning community is distinguished by small classes, close engagement with faculty, intellectual rigor and vibrant programs of study that reflect the College’s mission of Learn. Grow. Lead. Stephens College contributes to the vibrant social and cultural climate that makes Columbia, Missouri such a desirable place to live. Columbia was rated as #33 in the Top 100 Best Places to Live as rated by livability.com, and as the #21 Best Cities to Live in America by niche.com.
Qualified applicants should complete an online Stephens College application with the following:
- A cover letter that describes how the applicant’s qualifications and experience align with the job description
- Current curriculum vitae
- A list of three references with contact information
Review of applicants will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check.
Stephens College is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer. A diverse community on campus is valued, so women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Smoke Free Campus