Berry College invites nominations or applications for a visionary and innovative leader to serve as Dean of the School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences (MNS).The Dean is expected to serve as a model and mentor to all MNS faculty as an exemplary teacher and scholar. We seek candidates whose research, teaching, service, and administrative activities have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to engagement and inclusion of culturally diverse audiences in higher education, and particularly in MNS. Anticipated appointment date is July 1, 2020.
Berry is a selective independent college of 2,100 located adjacent to Rome, GA, midway between Atlanta, GA, and Chattanooga, TN. Berry’s educational approach deliberately unites challenging academic programs with practical work experience in a residential campus community that encourages faith and emphasizes caring for the needs of others above self. This commitment to an “education of the head, heart and hands” remains as relevant today as when our founder instilled this ethic more than a century ago.
Nationally recognized for quality of learning and quality of life, Berry offers first-rate undergraduate degree programs in the sciences, humanities, arts and human sciences, as well as undergraduate and master’s level opportunities in business and teacher education. The College’s stunning 27,000-acre campus affords opportunities that cannot be duplicated elsewhere. Berry’s ongoing commitment is to provide exceptional educational experiences to talented students from a wide range of social and economic backgrounds.
Berry College’s School of MNS boasts a unique campus “laboratory” of more than 27,000 acres of land including a working dairy, beef and sheep production, an equine center, forest resources, a biological field station and a small observatory.Well-established programs in Animal Science, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Mathematics and Computer Science, and Physics, as well as courses in Geology and Astronomy, impart core teaching and research strengths into the School. Students are actively involved on campus in research and work opportunities that support their academic interests.
The Dean serves as the chief academic, administrative, and budgetary officer of the MNS School and reports directly to the College’s Provost.The MNS Dean:
- Works with the School’s faculty, College administration, the deans of other Schools, and external partners to promote and catalyze improvements to the MNS School’s teaching/research capabilities, curriculum, unique and interdisciplinary programs, and facilities.
- Supervises all MNS faculty, Department Chairs and coordinators, and administrative staff.
- Recommends hiring, reappointment, promotion and tenure, and other personnel actions as necessary.
- Provides oversight and assistance during the hiring process of high-quality and diverse faculty and staff.
- Promotes scholarly research activities of faculty and faculty-student collaborations.
- Assists students and faculty with requests, exceptions, complaints, and the resolution of grievances.
- Serves as an effective communicator and liaison to both internal and external constituencies, including fund-raising activities in conjunction with the Advancement office.
- Recommends a budget to the Provost, and oversees the allocation and dispensation of School funds.
- Teaching load expectation is one course each year in their discipline.
Earned doctorate by an accredited institution in one of the disciplines represented by the MNS School with sufficient academic credentials to merit appointment to the rank of full professor.The successful candidate will have a proven and effective track record of service in an administrative position such as dean, associate dean, or department chair that demonstrates the candidate’s commitment to innovation and improvement.
Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are encouraged to visit our employment website at http://berry.interviewexchange.com and provide a letter of interest, a separate statement that addresses how their cultural, experiential, and/or academic background contributes to the understanding of diversity at Berry College, a curriculum/administrative vitae, copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and three letters of reference. Letters of reference, indicating the position in the subject line, may be submitted directly to [email protected]. Review of applications will begin November 15, 2019, and continue until the position is filled.
Nominations for the position may be sent directly via email to [email protected].
Berry is a Chronicle of Higher Education 2018 “Great College to Work For.” The college offers a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and provides benefit options with no employee costs for medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, including spouse and dependents at a reduced rate.
Berry College is committed to ensuring facilities, programs, services, and activities are accessible to everyone, including those seeking employment at Berry College.Inquiries about interview or workplace accommodations are welcomed and can be directed to Wayne Phipps, Director of Human Resources, at 706.290.2698.
All potential employees at Berry College are required to submit to a full national background check prior to hiring.