The University of Arizona School of Art is seeking a full-time Assistant Professor (tenure-eligible) to join the Illustration and Design (I+D) program beginning August 2019. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an active professional practice with an emphasis in animation as a tool for visual storytelling.
The I+D program focuses on the development of unique visual voices in the service of communication. The successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in animation and illustration that would include both traditional and digital media. Experience with other time-based formats, such as film, video, book arts, comics and the graphic novel will also be considered.
The new faculty member will collaboratively develop an Illustration and Design curriculum with faculty that positions storytelling through animation as an integral focus for the future of illustrators, designers and their collaborative partners. The successful candidate can expect to teach a 2/2-course load per calendar year.
The University of Arizona is a Hispanic Serving Institution and includes an increasingly diverse student population. It is expected that the successful candidate will effectively demonstrate an ability to contribute to an inclusive learning environment for our students through teaching, mentorship and recruitment.
For more information about the School of Art go to:
About the University:
The University of Arizona is a Research-1, land grant institution.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocation services, please click here
Duties & Responsibilities
- Contribute to the professional illustration/design fields at the national level in pursuit of promotion and tenure.
- Teach two 3-credit courses per semester
- Contribute to an ever-evolving illustration and design program curriculum in order to address professional developments in the field.
- Contribute to service at the division, school, college, university and professional levels
- Participation in school and faculty governance and activities, student advisement, recruitment and outreach
- Serve on review and thesis committees for graduate students
- Mentor graduate students
- Mentor and supervise graduate teaching assistants and technicians
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Proficiency in both digital and analog animation techniques
- Ability to teach various illustration courses from beginning to graduate level
- Image making, storyboarding, character development
- MFA in Animation, Illustration, Film or related area.
- 2 years of university-level teaching experience (including graduate teaching assistantships)
- Evidence of a professional illustration and/or animation practice
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to an inclusive learning environment for our students through teaching, mentorship and recruitment.
- Skills in communicating with an ethnically and culturally diverse student population
- Ability to teach and mentor students in a variety of time-based formats, including but not limited to
- Visual Narratives
- Graphic Novels and Comics, Visual Novels/Picture Books, Artists’ Books
- Video and film
- Motion Graphics
- Authorial Illustration
- Meaningful integration of illustration/animation practice and teaching
- Knowledge of the history of Illustration and Design
- Teaching experience beyond graduate teaching assistantships