|Please Note: This position remains open until filled, however, priority consideration will be given to candidates who submit their application materials by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 17.|
The mission of Pierce College is to create quality educational opportunities for a diverse community of learners to thrive in an evolving world.
Recognized by the Aspen Institute as one of the Top 5 community colleges in the nation, Pierce College is an innovative and equity-focused community college dedicated to helping all students achieve their academic and professional goals.
You could be part of impacting the lives of students! Check Out the Golf Scramble Video (2019): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvxPRZw-EPA
The District Event Manager position will have district responsibility for planning, coordinating and managing the logistics of special events, assuring a high standard of customer satisfaction within pre-determined budget parameters. Duties includes managing rental contracts with external entities; coordinating events per client needs and district guidelines; assisting in scheduling and coordinating district or college-wide internal special events; assisting the Foundation in managing fundraising events; managing district ticketing operations; selling sponsorships; working and establishing relationships with vendors and working with faculty to maximize usage and success of spaces such as the Science Dome and district theaters.
A successful District Event Manager will find fun in the logistical mapping of variety of events in unique venues, enjoys working collaboratively across multiple units, and maintains a positive influential demeanor. We are seeking an innovative leader that encourages excellence and maximizes experiences. This position requires regular and consistent attendance. We would be honored if you joined our team!
About the District: The college enjoys a strong presence in the community and participates in numerous partnerships with business, community, government, and educational organizations.
Pierce College at Fort Steilacoom - Located on a beautiful 140-acre site with views of Mount Rainier and recreational Waughop Lake, the campus enjoys modern facilities that include state-of-the-art teaching and learning spaces; an immersive, full-dome digital planetarium; child development center; and a health education center.
Pierce College at Puyallup - Located on a luscious site with 125 acres of wooded land including modern facilities and beautiful hideaways.
Campus Views: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV598SUzrKNOdT4kPM6IyNQ
|District Event Management:|
- Develop, plan and oversee a broad range of activities, institutional events and educational programs/events.
- Coordinate logistics for Foundation events and fundraisers such as Distinguished Alumni celebration, scholarship Golf Scramble, and other board and donor functions.
- Assist Chancellor's and President's offices in coordinating logistics for selected special events.
- Direct, manage, and oversee a broad range of contracted event operations.
- Develop and recommend new methods of engagement through events.
- Work with the Finance Department to develop contract templates and recommend rental pricing structure for contracted events; facilitate contract approval process.
- Coordinate and manage processes and work collaboratively with staff from Facilities, Campus Safety, Marketing and Communications, Food Service, IT/technicians, Custodial, and other departments to make sure college venues are event ready including ensuring signs, parking, and risk management are addressed.
- Create a sense of welcome and excellence in customer service in order to encourage repeat clients and to build Pierce College's reputation.
- Develop and manage event checklists.
- Manage a district-wide ticketing system; staff and/or coordinate staffing at box office functions for events using the ticketing system.
- Develop event usage and management procedures with district stakeholders.
- Coordinate with Finance on business procedures, required ticket sales reports, tax compliance laws, and annual budget reporting.
- Assist district/college departments charged with community outreach (i.e., Community Education and Outreach departments) in developing and managing outreach events that occur on campus.
- Create and maintain essential event records and files.
Event Marketing & Communications:
- Initiate and coordinate the promotion of events, working with the internal or external client (when appropriate), Marketing and Communications, and through the ticketing software.
- In coordination with the Development team, create and sell corporate sponsorship packages.
- Capture attendee information to be used for strategic marketing, district notifications, alumni engagement, and future programming.
- Partner with Marketing and Communications to define and promote the Pierce College brand through event publications and messaging.
- Update and enhance internal and external online event support information.
Training and evaluation:
- Create front of house/hospitality handbook or curriculum for student-based learning, looking at other local venues for best practices.
- Promote work study/ambassador opportunities through student life and theater arts courses, as well as volunteers from the community.
- Ensure staff is adequately trained and prepared for events, including safety procedures.
- Involve staff across the District in a continuous improvement evaluation process as relates to event management; conduct post –event evaluations and make recommendations for improvements for future events.
- Train staff to execute events in such a way that attendees have a positive and consistent experience.
Special Requirements and/or Conditions of Employment:
- Associate degree.
- Three (3) years' experience leading/coordinating successful events.
- Demonstrated experience providing/creating excellent customer experiences.
- Experience with event planning, coordination, and evaluation.
- Experience recruiting, managing, and motivating volunteers.
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated experience with projects requiring a high level of attention to detail.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with a variety of internal and external clients.
- Demonstrated trust in, sensitivity to, and mutual respect of others; recognize and manage personal biases.
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing budgets, timelines, and checklists.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and teams without having direct supervisory responsibility.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Must be willing and able to work a flexible schedule; covering day, evening, and weekend events as needed.
- Must be able to travel between the Puyallup and Fort Steilacoom colleges when needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Communicates effectively and collaboratively with individuals, and internal and external clients.
- Applies effective written and oral communication techniques to convey clear and timely messages.
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to motivate and lead district-wide staff and volunteers.
- Willingness and ability to collaborate with a wide variety of people to accomplish stated goals.
- Works effectively with individuals of diverse cultures, interpersonal styles, abilities, motivations, or backgrounds.
- Detailed organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to understand the needs of customers and create customer-centered experiences.
- Sound negotiation skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and perform within tight deadlines.
- Makes timely, informed decisions that take into account the facts, goals, constraints, and risks; ability to use professional judgment in complex situations; demonstrates critical, creative and reflective thinking.
- Adheres to high standards of integrity and honesty.
- Very strong collaboration and customer relations skills.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite applications and basic databases.
- Able to learn new software solutions easily.
To be considered for this position, applicants must:
Special Note: To ensure consideration, application materials should be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. Priority consideration will be given to candidates who submit their application materials by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 17.
- Meet the required qualifications as outlined in this announcement.
- Complete the online application profile at http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/dist/hr/.
- Apply for the specific job opening.
- Upload (attach) a cover letter that addresses how you meet the required qualifications as outlined in this announcement. At Pierce College, we value culturally responsive and compassionate individuals who bridge diverse backgrounds and perspectives in support of academic equity and excellence. In your cover letter, please address how you will support the mission of Pierce College to create quality educational opportunities for a diverse community of learners to thrive in an evolving world. Please include in your response how your previous education and/or professional experience contribute to your effectiveness in promoting a climate of student success for a diverse community of learners. (Cover Letter)
- Upload (attach) detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
- Transcripts are not required in order to apply for this position, however, if you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to bring copies of unofficial transcripts showing completion of the required level of education. Please upload current copies of your transcripts, if available. Unofficial copies of all college and university transcripts must include degree received and confer date. International transcripts must include a foreign transcript evaluation. For a list of approved credential evaluation services visit: www.naces.org/members.htm (Unofficial transcripts acceptable for application process; official transcripts required upon hire). (Transcripts)
- Upload (attach) a list of at least two professional references with names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses. Letters of recommendation will not be accepted. (References)
Terms of Employment:
This is a full-time (40 hours per week) administrative exempt position with Pierce College District. The primary work location will be at Pierce College Fort Steilacoom campus but occasional travel to Pierce College campuses or sites will occur. Work hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (scheduled hours may vary), with occasional evenings and weekends as required. All positions may be subject to reassignment between campuses or sites.
Salary & Benefits:
The starting salary range for this position is $57,084.00 to 67,956.00 annually, dependent upon qualifications. However, your paycheck is just part of the total compensation package. There is an outstanding benefits package which is worth an additional value equivalent to about 30% of your salary. A comprehensive health care benefits package for you and your dependents includes medical, dental and vision insurance. Life and long-term disability insurance plans; vacation, sick and personal leave; reduced tuition; and retirement benefits are also provided. For more information, please visit our Benefits and Leave website at: https://www.pierce.ctc.edu/hr-benefits.
Physical Work Environment:
This position is required to work indoors in an office environment, in addition to, outdoor venues and locations during College sponsored events and programs. Frequent travel between campuses and occasional travel to external event venues will occur. The ability to sit or stand for long periods, lift up to 50 lbs. of marketing materials and venue equipment during scheduled event setup and breakdown as needed. This position scheduled hours vary with occasional evening and weekends required.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance with the application and employment process will be accommodated to the extent reasonably possible. Requests should be made to the District Human Resources Office by calling 253-964-7342.Persons who are deaf or hard of hearing may dial 711 to place a call through Washington Relay, the state's free telecommunication access service.
Screening & Interview Process:
Only those candidates who have complied with the application process and meet the required qualifications will be considered. Following the review of application materials, the most qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. Check the email account you used for the application process for communication regarding the status of your application. Application materials submitted to Pierce College are the property of the College and will not be returned.
Conditions of Employment:
- An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H-1B visa. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of authorization to work in the United States will be required at the time of hire.
- Pierce College has adopted a Drug Free Workplace policy. As a condition of employment, employees must agree to abide by the requirements established in that policy.
The Pierce College District is an equal opportunity employer.The Board of Trustees and Pierce College District are committed to providing equal opportunity and will not discriminate in terms and conditions of employment and personnel practices. Decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, perceived or actual physical or mental disability, pregnancy, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, religion, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or use of a trained guide dog or service animal.
For more information about this position or assistance regarding your application, contact Human Resources at: [email protected].
Questions regarding equal employment opportunities or discrimination may be directed to the following:
Holly Gorski, Vice President for Human Resources/Title IX Coordinator
9401 Farwest Drive SW
Lakewood, Washington 98498
Paula Henson-Williams, District Affirmative Action Officer