Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
Writing Consultants (WCs) meet face-to-face and/or online with APU undergraduate and graduate student writers. Depending upon the program to which the WC is attached, the consultant will meet with students at regional centers, at the Azusa Campus, and/or online. WCs' goal during each appointment is to create transferable writing skills that the students will take with them throughout their college and writing careers. Writing Consultants will keep accurate records of the sessions as specified by the Director of the Writing Center and will assist in refining and updating consultation services, handouts, instructions, and techniques. Writing Consultants' hours are variable depending on student demand, which fluctuates during breaks, midterms, finals, etc.
- Master's Degree preferred.
- Some previous experience tutoring or assisting in student learning activities.
- Experience working with peers in giving writing feedback
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Attend meetings with the Director of the Writing Center and other consultants training in writing consultation and tutoring practices, multilingual and non-traditional learner methods, and writing center procedures and record keeping tasks.
- Read assigned materials and do assigned projects and exercises to learn writing consultation theories and techniques for working with multilingual students, non-traditional students, and other tutoring methods.
- Assist new writing consultants in learning writing consultation techniques and protocols.
- Record Keeping
- Fill out session forms and client logs as required accurately and thoroughly.
- Public Relations and Communication
- Communicate with programs and departments regarding assignments and writing requirements to which students must adhere in their writing projects.
- Distribute the Writing Center materials to the necessary programs, centers, instructors, and/or students.
- Lead workshops with students on how the Writing Center works and writing-based topics.
- Resource Development/Maintenance
- WCs use standard grammar reference texts or style format reference materials as determined by the course description of the assignment and model for the student writer how to use the reference materials effectively.
- Light clerical work as needed.
- Demonstrate initiative in suggesting improvements or revisions in the service as the need becomes evident.
- Performs other projects and duties as assigned by the Director.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.