System Support Specialist I - COF (One or More Positions)
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 01855
Posting Date: 11/14/2016
Open Until Filled: No
Position Type: Classified Flexible Limited Benefit
Minimum Salary: $4,283.06 per month
Maximum Salary: $6,051.84 per month (maximum entry $4,283.06 per month)
Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance coverage; long-term disability insurance, and an employee assistance program (EAP).
In addition, employees have the option to purchase:
- Flex 125
- AFLAC Policy
- Supplemental voluntary life insurance
- 403b Tax Shelter Annuity
All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date. Employees are covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) and are vested 100% after five years of full time service.
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
Under the direction of assigned supervisor, install and support desktops, laptops, application software, printers, computer labs and related technology for Faculty, Staff and Administrators in person, via telephone or with the use of remote access tools. Assist with the support of the college's information technology systems and applications; these systems include the voice and data networks, servers, computers, printers, software and applications used by college employees and students.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot PC related software and hardware problems.
- Coordinate timely resolution of and follow-up on software and hardware problems with all levels of IT resources including network, server, application, and help desk support operations.
- Work with hardware and software manufacturers' support in handling and if necessary escalating warranty repair and parts replacement issues.
- Log details of support provided in Help Desk trouble-ticketing system;
- Advance the use of a knowledge repository to share information among all levels of IT service and support.
- Develop and use workstation configuration management tools and procedures to perform software distribution, patch management, inventory management and imaging.
- Install, configure and support a wide variety of complex software applications that support the needs of the college faculty, staff and students.
- Develop, recommend and use best tools and practices for computer lab management;
- Develop and deploy optimized images in timely and effective manner to the campus computer labs that include a wide variety of both purchased and shareware software packages.
- Work with network and server support operations to setup and support effective processes (i.e. Group Policies, Login Scripts, Roaming profiles, etc…) for providing users with access to resources and determining the behavior (profile) of all computers on campus.
- Assist with the installation, configuration, and support of network (wired, WIFI) equipment and servers in alignment with district wide IT processes and standards.
- Maintain proper hardware replacement planning information to assist with forecasting the regular replacement and/or upgrading of desktop, laptop, printer and related technology assets.
- Receive, prioritize, and respond to Help Desk Service tickets, incoming calls, and/or e-mails regarding PC hardware and software problems.
- Identify chronic problems and work with Help Desk support operations in performing root-cause analysis on such problems and finding solutions for reducing or eliminating them.
- Receive, prioritize, and complete individual and group requests for hardware or software moves, adds, and changes.
- Work to identify and implement technology standards for on campus technology support or collaborate with peers across the district to develop best practices and foster continuous improvement of IT services.
- Provide input and recommendations on hardware specifications required to meet the computing needs of end users.
- Help ensure end users are aware of what hardware and software is available for their use and how to obtain support for all IT services.
- Work toward attainment of key support goals such an average response time, mean time to repair, end-user satisfaction and number of problems resolved within a given period.
- Provide brief hands-on training to users in the use of hardware and software.
- Maintain system documentation including configuration information for technology you are directly responsible for.
- Stay informed of trends in hardware and software, troubleshooting, automation technologies and other changes that could improve PC server and support.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: Associate’s degree supplemented by college-level course work in computer software applications, business practices or a related field and one (1) year of increasingly responsible experience in the use and support of computer software and hardware providing technological support to a variety of end-users.
High school diploma, GED or equivalent certificate of competency and three years of work experience such as described in the representative duties section of the specification.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Hands-on hardware and software troubleshooting and repair.
- Knowledge of modern enterprise level Information Technology Systems and processes.
- Meaning and use of common technological terms.
- Modern office software and software applications, including Windows, word processing (MS-Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases (Access, SQL, QBE), desktop publishing
- Uses, capabilities, characteristics, and limitations of computer and related equipment.
- Modern office procedures and methods.
Correct English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Have a working knowledge of joining and moving objects within Active Directory.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve software and hardware problems.
- Conduct research into PC issues and products as required.
- Develop knowledge-based information to be used by Help Desk services to solve problems.
- Operate a computer, tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
- Read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides.
- Instruct users in the use of computer equipment and operating procedures.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Salary Grade: 44.5
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on November 30, 2016 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Recruitment Status (tentative):
- Application Screening: TBD
- Interviews: TBD
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/8318. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency