Tufts Dining manages and operates a comprehensive collegiate food service program on the Tufts University Medford-Somerville campus delivering high quality, comtemporary and innovative food and services to meet the various needs of students, faculty, staff and visitors in a fiscally responsible manner. The department provides a resident dining program for approximately 3500 students as well as retail restaurants, convenience stores and full service catering for a campus community totaling 4300 undergraduates, 1200 graduate students and 2300 faculty and staff.
The Sous Chef is the second ranking culinary professional under the Unit Chef-Manager assisting in the leadership of a complex, fast paced and high volume, well-equipped kitchen. S/He will demonstrate the ability to master top quality batch cookery techniques, to develop and test recipes for quantity preparation, to authentically prepare a wide variety of international cuisines and to lead an experienced culinary team serving 3000+ meals per day. The Sous Chef is responsible for:
• preparation and presentation of a variety of hot and cold foods following standardized department recipes in quantities forecasted and planned in advance using a variety of preparation methods;
• determining daily kitchen work load, making daily job assignments and overseeing the work of all cooks and other kitchen personnel;
• evaluating finished products to ensure quality and addressing sub-quality production and presentation by analyzing problems and implementing solutions in collaboration with the unit Chef-Manager;
• working in all areas of the kitchen as needed but primarily in hot food production with focus on batch cookery;
• reviewing inventory regularly and communicating food and equipment needs to unit Chef-Manager to ensure all products and supplies are ordered and scheduled for delivery on time for the production needs;
• researching, developing, testing and adjusting recipes for all production areas;
• overall kitchen sanitation and food safety practices; keeping kitchen General Workers on task and assigning side work and equipment maintenance duties to kitchen personnel;
• coordinating and expediting food preparation from the kitchen and action stations ensuring safe food handling and on time production according to established department procedures;
• planning and executing production and presentation for assigned meals including designing and executing buffet presentation;
• taking charge of kitchen operations, ordering and Foodpro duties in the absence of the unit Chef-Manager;
• collaborating with the unit Chef-Manager to fulfill the culinary goals of the unit by facilitating the implementation of management initiatives in the kitchen and exceeding customer expectations
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience planning and preparing hot and cold foods for service and coordinating the work of a culinary crew in a restaurant, hotel or institutional operation
• High School diploma/GED
• Expertise or high level of interest in various cuisines and cooking methods, quantity food preparation and batch cookery, and general culinary techniques and skills
• Demonstrated mastery of all cooking methods
• Practical experience leading a kitchen crew in a logical, efficient and fair manner, coaching and training culinary skills and techniques, designing plate and buffet presentations and developing recipes and menus
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of kitchen sanitation and food safety practices and ability to enforce safe food handling guidelines
• Must be a team player who is willing to be held accountable for the quality of products produced by others, for meeting tight deadlines, and for contributing to the success of all kitchen and action station production
• Must speak, read, understand and write in English and is hospitality-oriented and customer service sensitive
• Must have a working knowledge of basic math
• Ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
• Must successfully complete all appropriate background checks as required.
• Tufts Dining is a hospitality-oriented service provider, all employees are expected to be customer service sensitive
Associate's degree in Culinary Arts. Experience in a university food service especially in a residential dining center with a top tier program.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
52 week, full time position with frequent overtime during the academic year. Weekends, holidays and evenings are commons. Schedule will change based on demand.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.PI60190309