LOCATION: Green Bay Campus
STANDARD HOURS: 40 hours per week. Typical hours Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Flexibility required to include other evening and/or weekend hours as necessary.
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY*: $59,850/year
*Current benefit eligible employees will be placed within the pay range based on their current rate/range.
Location: Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Human Resources, 2740 West Mason Street, Green Bay, WI 54307-9042. All postings are considered current and available until removed from the website.
Northeast Wisconsin Technical College is committed to promoting a learning environment where employees and students of differing perspectives and cultural backgrounds pursue career and academic goals embraced in an environment of respect and shared inquiry.
The Small Business Development Consultant (SBDC) is responsible to oversee assist and guide the entrepreneur or small business owner in growing and developing their small business or business venture. The SBDC helps the entrepreneur or owner of the small business or venture to clarify realistic goals and objectives. The SBDC assists through supporting the business/venture owner in acquiring the necessary skills and resources needed to operate a successful venture. The incumbent demonstrates strong past experience in understanding the business principles as well as a solid understanding of coaching principles as it relates to entrepreneurial ventures.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the functions identified in the job description.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Build and maintain effective, long-term relationships with identified local, regional, and state-wide government, tribal, nonprofit and private entrepreneur and small business service providers, partners, and clients.
- Actively participate on various internal and external committees, and attend trade shows and conferences as assigned.
- Assist the new entrepreneur to understand the challenges of business/venture ownership.
- Provide guidance, support and challenge to business owner, allowing them to determine how they can create the business they want.
- Work alongside business owners to identify specific and /or potential issues within a business.
- Work with owner and resources if necessary to overcome business challenges.
- Research and review processes that support the business functions of the company.
- Work with entrepreneurs and owners to develop long-term, well-defined goals and realistic action plans.
- Perform data analysis as requested; develop and present reports in support of various stages of business growth.
- Work with business owners to develop programs to increase sales with existing customers.
- Aid in the identification of new products or services for existing markets or, new markets for existing products and services.
- Work with entrepreneurs and business owners to document strengths and weaknesses.
- Advise on business improvements that may aid the company in meeting its organizational goals.
- Aid in the development of new marketing and sales programs designed to attract new customers or retain existing ones.
- Any other duties as required.
- Values - Demonstrate behaviors and action that support the College’s values - Customer Focus, Everyone Has Worth, Passion and Inspiration, Collaboration, Emotional Intelligence, Results and Accountability, Valuing Talent and Well Being, and Ethics.
- Student Success – Demonstrate behaviors and actions that support student recruitment, retention, and student success initiatives.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Accountability - accept responsibility and account for actions of self.
- Active Listening - actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
- Communication, Written and Oral – communicate effectively with others using the spoken word and in writing clearly and concisely.
- Goal Oriented – focus on a goal and obtain a pre-determined result.
- Initiative – make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
- Presentation Skills – effectively present information publicly.
- Relationship Building – effectively build relationships with customers and coworkers.
- Self-Motivated - internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one’s ability using his or her own drive or initiative.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Associate degree in business related field required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience: Five years of related experience preferably in workforce development, successful business management, business consulting, and practical experience in entrepreneurship education and training.
**An equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered.
Microsoft Office Suite
Demonstrated experience in delivering entrepreneur and small business training and education.
Must hold a valid driver’s license and be insurable under the District’s standard insurance policy terms.