Golden West College
Huntington Beach, CA
Instructor, Mathematics and Statistics
Job #: 4-G-18
Salary: $49,354.00 - $110,177.00 Annually
Complete job description and application available online at: https://www.cccd.edu/employment
Golden West College is currently seeking a full-time tenure track Mathematics and Statistics Instructor(s) commencing with the 2017 fall semester. The primary teaching assignment involves teaching transfer level mathematics and statistics courses. This assignment also includes curriculum and program development, participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities assuming leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole; collaboration across disciplines and the leveraging of student support resources; and participation in ongoing professional development.
The assignment may be day, evening, weekend, online or off campus and is subject to change as needed. The ideal candidate for this position embraces the overall mission of Golden West College and the Coast Community College District, with a clear, focused commitment to supporting teaching and academic excellence, and student learning and success through the work of mathematics and statistics.
Examples of Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Provide instruction in Mathematics and/or Statistics in accordance with established course outlines.
2. Provide leadership in the development and revision of Mathematics and/or Statistics curriculum.
3. Participate in curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation; participate in and develop programs to measure student performance.
4. Maintain current knowledge in the subject matter areas.
5. Maintain appropriate standards of professional conduct and ethics.
6. Fulfill the professional responsibilities of a full-time faculty member including, but not limited to the following: teach all scheduled classes unless excused under provisions of Board Policy; follow the department course outlines; keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and progress; submit student grades according to established deadlines; post and maintain scheduled office hours; participate in departmental meetings and college and/or district- wide activities and committees as assigned.
7. Assignment may include day, evening, weekend, and online sections.
1. Must meet one of the following qualifications under (a) through (d):
a. Possess the California Community College Teaching Credential for this subject area.
b. Possess a Master's degree from an accredited institution in mathematics or applied mathematics.
c. Possess a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in mathematics or applied mathematics AND a Master's degree in statistics, physics, or mathematics education.
d. Or, possess a combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent to the above. Candidates making an application on the basis of equivalency must submit an Application for Equivalency (located at http://www.cccd.edu/employment) in addition to all other required materials.
2. Evidence of a sensitivity to, understanding of, and the ability to manage the classroom environment AND effectively provide instruction to community college students of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Evidence of an ability to contribute to campus and district-wide professional responsibilities and activities.
• Evidence of an ability to complement existing staff, student and community demographics in terms of professional and personal skills.
• Educational and/or instructional preparation in either college level mathematics or statistics.
• Evidence of participation in student success initiatives in a post-secondary setting.
• Evidence of an ability to address the instructional needs of a diverse and frequently underprepared student population.
• Evidence of an ability to effectively engage with and facilitate authentic learning for students of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
• Evidence of an ability to adapt teaching pedagogy to the knowledge level (developmental through transfer) and personality of each individual and class.
• Evidence of an ability to self-reflect and respond to an evidenced-based assessment of student learning.
• Desire and demonstrated ability to participate actively in department, division, and college committees and in the shared governance of Coast Community College District.
• Desire and evidence of an ability to take on leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
• Ability to work with computers, and use the Internet and interactive technologies to engage students in on-campus and online courses (where academically appropriate); and intrinsic motivation and ability to develop and teach online courses.
• Evidence of an ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Evidence of experience in blending student success strategies, such as: goal setting, time-management, problem solving, study methods, and research skills into the curriculum. (Candidates who have not had such experience will be expected to gain these competencies during their first year, so that they are able to incorporate these strategies in their own courses.)
Conditions of Employment
Start Date: Fall Semester (August 2017)
For a full-time, two-semester position, a maximum starting range of $49,354 to $84,144 is offered, based on the 2016-2017 salary schedule of $49,354 to $110,177. In addition, an annual stipend of $2,878 is offered for possession of an earned doctorate from an accredited institution. The District provides medical, dental, and vision insurance for the employee and eligible dependents and life insurance for the employee.
• Regular attendance is considered an essential job function; the inability to meet attendance requirements may preclude the employee from retaining employment.
• The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Coast Community College District policies, procedures, and Title IX. (Reference: BP/AP 5910)
• The Coast Community College District celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the District's strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
*Application and required materials must be electronically submitted on-line at http://www.cccd.edu/employment by the indicated closing date. Incomplete applications and application materials submitted by mail will not be considered.
ATTENTION: Before applying, please be sure to review the Coast Colleges District Board Policy regarding Nepotism (BP 7310) to check if your application may be impacted. If you have any questions, please contact HR Recruitment at 714-438-4714 or 714-438-4716.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: To be considered for employment you must submit a COMPLETE application packet. A complete application packet includes:
• A complete Coast Community College District Online Employment Application.
• A current resume of professional experience, educational background, and teaching experience (upload as a separate attachment - PDF recommended).
• A cover letter highlighting your qualifications for the desired position, INCLUDING desirable qualifications for the subject(s) to be taught (upload as a separate attachment - PDF recommended).
• All unofficial copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts (upload as a separate attachment - PDF recommended).
• Answers to all Supplemental Questions (please provide clear and thorough responses as they will be carefully evaluated to determine the most qualified candidate(s) to be invited for an interview; please do not paste your resume or put "see resume" or leave blank).
• Application for Equivalency, if applicable. Candidates making application on the basis of equivalency must submit an Application for Equivalency form (located at http://www.cccd.edu/employment) in addition to all other required materials (upload as a separate attachment - PDF recommended).
• Please do not attach additional application materials--they will not be reviewed or returned.
Submission of all required application information and materials is the responsibility of the applicant.
Coast Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer