FACULTY POSITION IN LANDSCAPE DEVELOPMENT
SUNY Cobleskill is seeking talented and innovative faculty to join the college community as we build a new vision for our second century as a college of agriculture and technology. Offering associate’s and bachelor’s degree programs, SUNY Cobleskill values innovative teaching and faculty committed to engaging pedagogies, collaborative and interdisciplinary endeavors, global perspectives, applied learning including internships and undergraduate research, and high levels of interaction with students.
Tenure-track 10-month appointment as Assistant Professor of Landscape Development; begins August 2013.
Primary responsibility is teaching courses in landscape design, landscape contracting, and landscape business management at the associate and baccalaureate levels. Additional responsibilities include:
- Serving as the lead instructor for the landscape programs (Landscape Development AAS and Landscape Contracting BT), which operate in association with the horticultural programs in the Department of Animal and Plant Science.
- Maintaining and further developing relationships with key regional and national landscape firms and industry leaders.
- Working with PLANET (the Professional LandCare Network, the national landscape industry organization) to maintain accreditation of the Bachelor of Technology program in Landscape Contracting.
Expectations also include internship supervision, student advisement, assessment, service, scholarship, and professional development. Teaching assignments may include weekday, evenings, weekend, and online.
- Landscape Architecture degree (MLA desired) or master’s degree in a related field; PhD preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years landscape industry experience required.
- Broad understanding of the landscape industry and its three major areas of practice (design, construction, and management) as well as the interdisciplinary nature of the landscape curriculum.
- Background in traditional horticulture preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and a commitment to a technical, hands-on education.
- Teaching experience desired.
- Willingness to engage in collaborative and/or interdisciplinary efforts and to teach in multiple modes (face-to-face, online, hybrid) desired
The application review process will begin immediately and will continue until a suitable candidate is found; priority is given to applications submitted by April 1, 2013.
Completed application consists of the following:
- Letter of application, addressing qualifications, position responsibilities, and college values
- Copies of official transcripts (originals required if hired)
- Current CV
- Names, emails and phone numbers of at least three professional references
APPLICATIONS AND CREDENTIALS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED THROUGH: