Educational Advisor (Counseling) (COF)
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 01733
Posting Date: 06/24/2016
Closing Date: 7/7/2016
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 12 month position
Minimum Salary: $4,634.99 per month
Maximum Salary: $6,549.12 per month (maximum entry level $4,634.99)
Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance and dependent life coverage; long-term disability insurance, and an employee assistance program (EAP). At this time, all premiums for the employee and their eligible dependents are fully paid for by the District.
In addition, employees have the option to purchase:
•Supplemental voluntary life insurance
•403b Tax Shelter Annuity
All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date. Employees are covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) and are vested 100% after five years of full time service.
College/Site: Cerro Coso College
Location: CC-Main Campus, Ridgecrest
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, serve as a paraprofessional counselor advising students in areas related to academic careers including certificate, graduation, transfer and major requirements; advise students on various careers and on the requirements necessary for achieving career goals.
- Serve as a paraprofessional counselor advising students in areas related to academic careers; assist students with establishing academic goals and selecting courses to meet their goals; utilize test scores to discuss appropriate class levels; communicate with students in person, on the telephone and online.
- Provide initial assessment of transcripts from other institutions; receive and forward transcripts to admissions and records office.
- Provide guidance relating to complaint and discrimination policies.
- Refer students in need of special services or outside counseling or testing services.
- Assist students with career searches; provide referrals to various print and computerized resources.
- Assist students with completion of various forms necessary to meet educational goals.
- Make appropriate changes in student database based on counseling appointments and student
- Advise students on a variety of student services programs covering the overall matriculation process for students attending classes at a District site; refer students as necessary to specialists; maintain caseload of new and continuing students.
- Participate in community outreach programs.
- Assist students in achieving transfer goals including completion of university applications and utilizing various resources to acquire information regarding university requirements; maintain current knowledge of university systems as well as independent colleges.
- Score various personality and interest inventory tests for campus counselors and instructors; assure current career counseling testing software is installed.
- Update various handouts and forms as necessary.
- Provide advising support for assigned programs such as health career, EOP&S, financial aid and others as assigned by the position.
- Participate in various graduation preparation activities; request formal graduation evaluation and review evaluations with students; assure completion of appropriate graduation forms.
- Maintain budgets for assigned activities at a site as assigned.
- Make presentation to students, faculty and community; participate in conferences and off-campus meetings related to assigned areas.
- Conduct career center, EOP&S or other orientations for new and continuing students as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree AND one year experience in a student services or related function.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Drivers License.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- College policies, procedures and resources.
Program and degree requirements.
- Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
- Student services programs.
- Operation of a computer and assigned software.
- Distance education modalities.
- Career and personality tests available to students as a resource tool.
- Interpersonal skills including tact patience and courtesy.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Counseling/advising techniques.
- Serve as a paraprofessional counselor advising students in areas related to academic careers including certificate, graduation, transfer and major requirements.
- Advise students on various careers and advise students on the requirements necessary for achieving career goals.
Interpret and explain college policies and procedures to students, faculty and the community.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Operate a computer and other office equipment.
- Prepare and maintain records and reports.
- Proctor and score a variety of tests.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
Salary Grade: 46.5
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on July 7, 2016 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Recruitment Status (tentative):
- Application Screening: TBD
- Interviews: TBD
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/7643. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency