Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization dedicated to the strategic planning, implementation, and support of technology products and services that anticipate and meet the academic, research, and business needs of the Tufts community. TTS offers technical leadership and services to our customers with a focus on providing innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Tufts University. TTS works in partnership with schools, business units, and other academic support organizations to provide campus-wide IT services in the areas of academic and research technology, enterprise application systems and services, networking and telecommunications, information security, data center operations, web services, classroom and computer lab technology support, and user support, training and outreach.
The Director of Service Planning and Management will establish and oversee the Office of Service Planning and Management, a new directorate within TTS. In this capacity, the Director of Service Planning and Management will work with all TTS directorates to develop IT service level definitions and a service-oriented approach for the organization that are aligned with and effectively enable the overall mission and strategic goals of Tufts University. S/he will provide strategic leadership for designing, implementing and communicating a delivery model for enterprise IT services that includes policies and guidelines for service definition and business case justification, a service level agreement framework, key performance indicators, and flexible delivery capacity requirements. S/he will directly oversee the IT service management portfolio under an integrated services model and will coordinate service management efforts across all directorates, including the implementation of IT service management (ITSM) processes and procedures, the identification and management of service standards, measurements and reviews, and the development and maintenance of a customer-responsive service catalogue. S/he will coordinate service lifecycle processes, including service design and transition of new services into production, and will help to identify potential new services based on client input. In addition, the Director of Service Planning and Management will implement a project management office with a team of professional project managers to promote and provide consistent and effective project management support, processes, standard methodologies and governance for IT projects. This position will play a critical role in supporting the implementation and assessment of Tufts’ new client support services model.
* Master’s degree in a related field.
* Ten plus (10+) years of progressive management experience in IT.
* Extensive understanding of ITSM, ITIL and PMP; previous use of project management or repository tool.
* Experience collaborating with other IT leaders and CIO to align strategic IT service portfolio with business needs.
* Experience planning, leading and managing IT operations, particularly client support services, to ensure activities are conducted in a manner consistent with industry best practices and that technology trends and new developments are leveraged appropriately to meet business needs.
* Experience establishing an overall delivery model for enterprise IT services and a service-oriented approach.
* Experience developing, managing and refreshing a portfolio of IT services.
* Experience developing and publishing a unified IT service catalogue to inform clients about available services and SLAs.
* Demonstrates a proven record of success as an individual contributor and/or a leader of specific project work streams on IT Service Management engagements and project teams specializing in the design and implementation of ITSM processes, organizational structures, functions and technologies.
* Familiarity with service design principles and practices.
* Strong oral and written communication skills. Experience building and maturing relationships at all levels of an organization to ensure alignment of enterprise architecture with business needs.
* Strong experience leading and managing an IT service team, coaching and mentoring others, assessing staff performance and providing for professional development opportunities, developing processes to encourage knowledge sharing, collaboration and work flow, and ensuring the development and implementation of any necessary corrective actions to meet objectives.
* Experience conducting ongoing processes to measure and evaluate current services and identify new services.
* Ability to think strategically, as well as tactically, and to exercise sound judgment in problem-solving and priority/goal setting.
* Previous work experience in higher education.
* ITIL and PMP certification.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
* This position will often include evenings and weekends, and additional work hours beyond the normal schedule.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.