Custodian I (19 hrs)
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 01877
Posting Date: 11/30/2016
Closing Date: 12/13/2016
Open Until Filled: No
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 19 hours per week, 12 month position
Minimum Salary: $1,070.59 per month
Maximum Salary: $1,512.73 per month (maximum entry $1,070.59 per month)
Prorated Sick leave and vacation leave. ACA Health Benefits eligible.
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform routine day or evening custodial activities at an assigned school campus or other assigned District facility; maintain buildings and adjacent grounds areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
- Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school campus or District facility during a day or evening shift; sweep, scrub, mop, wax and polish floors; vacuum rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices and other areas; spot clean and shampoo carpets.
- Clean classrooms, lounges, offices and other facilities as assigned; empty waste receptacles; spot mop and shampoo spills; remove gum, debris and graffiti as needed.
- Clean and disinfect drinking fountains and restroom facilities including sinks, toilets and urinals; replenish dispensers with towels, soap, toilet paper and other items; clean mirrors, tile and
- Replace light bulbs and tubes; clean chalkboards and erasers; empty pencil sharpeners.
- Dust and polish furniture, fixtures and woodwork; perform minor repairs to furniture as needed.
- Lock and unlock doors and gates as appropriate; maintain security of assigned areas according to established guidelines; set and disengage alarms as appropriate.
- Report safety, sanitary and fire hazards to appropriate authority; report need for maintenance repairs; respond to emergency custodial requests as needed.
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment; prepare classrooms, gym and multi-purpose rooms for special events or meetings; set-up chairs, tables, bleachers and other furniture and equipment for special events or meetings; clean up furniture equipment and debris following these events.
- Operate custodial equipment such as vacuums, mops, small hand and power tools, buffer/scrubber machines, blowers and other equipment.
- Participate in the thorough cleaning and restoration of campus facilities during vacation periods as assigned.
- Perform minor grounds maintenance duties as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance. Any combination equivalent to: at least six months related experience.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proper methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in modern custodial work.
- Modern cleaning methods including basic methods of cleaning floors, blackboards, carpets, furniture, walls and fixtures.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Requirements of maintaining District buildings in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
- Appropriate safety precautions and procedures.
- Proper lifting techniques.
- Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school site or other District facility.
- Maintain District buildings and adjacent grounds in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
- Use cleaning materials and equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Operate a variety of custodial equipment, such as vacuums, mops, small hand and power tools, buffer/scrubber.
- Maintain tools and equipment in clean working order.
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment for meetings and special events.
- Observe and report safety hazards and need for maintenance and repair.
- Perform minor non-technical repairs.
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Meet the essential physical function of this job which is the ability to lift at least 75 pounds.
- Successful completion of a fitness for duty physical including drug screen.
Environment - Indoor and outdoor work environment. Regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors.
Physical demands - Incorporated within one or more of the previously mentioned essential functions of this job description are essential physical requirements.
Hazards - Exposure to cleaning agents and chemicals. Working on ladders.
Salary Grade: 31.5
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on December 13, 2016 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Recruitment Status (tentative):
- Application Screening: TBD
- Interviews: TBD
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/8363. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency