Polk State College is located in beautiful Central Florida between the metropolitan areas of Tampa and Orlando. It boasts a relaxed lifestyle with affordable housing. Polk County is noted to be one of most affordable place to live in the United States by the National Home Builders Association. With campuses in Lakeland and Winter Haven and centers in Bartow, Lake Wales and Lakeland, Polk State College serves over 20,000 students. We seek diverse faculty and staff with a student-centered focus to support our service excellence mission and our world class vision. Employees at Polk State College enjoy excellent employee benefits, a unique workplace environment, and the opportunity to contribute to the services and traditions that make Polk State great. For additional information on the opportunity, please refer to the Job ad, as well as the Salary Schedule located under “Employment Related Documents” on our “Careers” page.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
At Polk State College, our amazing faculty and staff create an inspiring workplace. This part-time instructional position is an excellent opportunity to help shape tomorrow’s leaders. This position offers day or night teaching assignments located at one of our Polk County campuses or centers. We offer a collaborative, creative, and culturally diverse work environment. If you want to be supported in your efforts to grow professionally and to be recognized for your contributions, then work for Polk State.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Reporting to the campus Dean of Academic Affairs, the adjunct faculty member is an important part of our academic community. The primary role of this position is to provide college-level instruction and academic-related activities designed to encourage, support and enable student success. Working closely with the campus Associate Dean of Academics and the Department Coordinator/Program Director, adjuncts are issued a part-time, temporary term-to-term assignment.
Adjuncts are paid at a rate of $33.34/hr.
- Teach courses in accordance with college and departmental policies and procedures, as well as Basic Course Information sheets.
- Prepare and submit timely grade reports and other reports on student performance as may be scheduled or required.
- Organize class activities and assignments, relating them to the overall learning outcomes of the course.
- Provide input and work with other faculty and staff to review, produce and/or select course-related materials.
- Extensive knowledge of the subject area(s) in which the individual is responsible for instruction.
- Knowledge and understanding of the fundamentals of effective communication and of effective instruction.
- Knowledge and understanding of the characteristics and challenges of community college students.
- Knowledge and understanding of principles of curriculum development.
A minimum of a Master's degree in Mathematics or Statistics from a regionally accredited (or equivalent) institution of higher education; or a Master's degree from a regionally accredited (or equivalent) institution of higher education with 18 graduate credit hours in Mathematics or Statistics; or a Master's degree in Mathematics Education from a regionally accredited (or equivalent) institution of higher education with five (5) years' teaching experience in Math at the high school level or higher.
Teaching experience is preferred.
- Reference checks, Level II background checks (fingerprinting) and education verification by a third-party will be required prior to employment.
- A completed online application consists of:
- an electronic job application,
- cover letter,
- current vita/resume, and
- unofficial transcripts.
Submissions that do not include all required information will not be considered.
- UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS: When uploading unofficial transcripts, please redact any of the following items which appear on the transcript: Social security number, birth date, age, gender, and date of high school graduation.
- Foreign transcripts must include an official transcript evaluation which interprets equivalency to U.S. graduate credits.
- Submission of official transcripts will be required as a condition of employment following receipt of job offer.
- Note : Relocation assistance is NOT provided for this position.
- This position will close at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, December 12, 2016.
- Polk State College receives and reviews adjunct applications on an ongoing basis in order to pre-qualify applicants for future hiring needs on all campuses. Once a candidate's application is reviewed for qualification status and approved, the candidate will be placed in a Qualified pool and will be contacted in the future if a hiring need in that discipline arises. An offer will then be extended for a particular semester assignment and a campus location
We encourage applicants to provide feedback of their experience or request help at [email protected] .
As a general rule, Polk State College does not provide H1-B visa sponsorship. Exceptions may be made based on the College's need for a candidate with unique skills and expertise and where the College cannot otherwise recruit and hire qualified non-sponsored candidates.
Polk State College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution committed to excellence through diversity in education and employment. The College complies with all state and federal laws granting rights to students, employees, and applicants for employment or admission to the College. The College prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or disability in any of its employment policies or practices, educational programs, or activities. For questions or concerns, please contact: Valparisa Baker; Director, Equity & Diversity (Title IX Coordinator); 999 Avenue H, NE; Winter Haven, FL 33881; Office: WAD 227; 863.292.3602 Ext. 5378; [email protected]
Polk State College is a drug-free workplace and participates in E-Verify.
Polk State College is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities. If you feel you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position with Polk State, please call 863-297-1070 or e-mail [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request, along with your contact information. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will receive a response.
Submitting a resume online at an alternate job site could cause valuable screening information to be missed. A Polk State College eApplication is required in order to be considered for the position.
For additional information, please visit our web site at http://www.polk.edu or apply directly at: http://polkstate-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/submit.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=766&company_id=16397&jobboardid=1236