The University of North Texas at Dallas invites inquiries, applications and nominations for the position of Vice President for Enrollment Management. The Vice President currently oversees the offices of Undergraduate Admissions, Graduate Admission, Student Financial Aid and Scholarships, and Registrar.
The University, the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city, seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university, its core values (virtue, civility, reasoning, and accountability), and its vision to become a highly valued University that will be recognized for its distinctive interdisciplinary approaches to education, for innovative research, and for its commitment to serving Dallas, surrounding communities, and the State of Texas.
Founded in 2000, UNT Dallas has grown from 230 students to 2300 and currently offers a range of courses leading to undergraduate degrees, and graduate courses leading to master’s degrees. UNT Dallas, already among the most diverse universities in the nation, accepted its first freshman class in fall 2010. For more information about the university, please visit: http://dallas.unt.edu.
UNT Dallas has developed an operating strategy that includes a new college of law opening in 2015 and an enrollment goal of 16,000 students by 2030. Recruitment and retention of students is an important element of the plan. Close collaboration, particularly between the vice presidents for Academic Affairs, Student Life, and Enrollment, will be required for the university to build to and then stabilize at its enrollment goal. The Vice President for Enrollment Management will lead the development of goals and objectives for enrollment management, consistent with the university’s overall planning, and will provide a strategic view of campus-wide linkages for potential program enhancement and development as well as cost savings and improved resource utilization.
About the Position
Reporting to the Provost, the Vice President for Enrollment Management serves on the President’s cabinet and has a major role in coordinating strategic enrollment planning at the undergraduate and graduate levels, developing campus-wide marketing messages, and establish financial aid policies that effectively support the campus Strategic Enrollment Management Plan. He or she will also collaborate with the Associate Provost for Student Success and Dean of Students in developing, implementing, and evaluating retention strategies. Finally, working with other senior staff on the campus, the new Vice Presidet will develop marketing strategies and reorganize all recruiting and admissions functions to achieve the campus strategic enrollment goals. The Vice President will oversee a staff of 35 and manage a budget of $4,250,000.
Essential areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Direct the day-to-day operations for all recruitment and admissions management functions for all undergraduate and graduate students; assess operations and implement restructuring as necessary to achieve enrollment goals;
- Develop, implement and evaluate marketing, recruitment, enrollment and data-driven plans designed to attract and retain students;
- Oversee the staff in units related to recruitment and admissions by: assessing staffing needs and making necessary revisions to attain effective use of staff and fiscal resources; recruit highly qualified personnel to positions within the units and provide direction in training, development and evaluation of staff at all levels;
- With leaders in the areas of Student Success and Student Affairs, provide expertise in developing, implementing and evaluating retention strategies;
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the academic deans and faculty to coordinate and ensure appropriate participation by academic units in student recruitment and retention.
- Participate in the planning of Commencement Ceremonies.
The Successful Candidate
Candidates must have previous experience in developing, implementing and evaluating marketing and recruitment strategies, including the utilization of research and information technologies. Strategic planning and marketing skills, strong management skills, and the personality and ability to coordinate and lead the work of multiple units are all required. Candidates must demonstrate a clear understanding of and experience in effective use of marketing and information technology and social media to improve the recruitment of students. Experience with PeopleSoft is a plus.
Candidates should also demonstrate these qualities:
- A reputation as a dynamic, outgoing and effective communicator;
- The ability to develop and articulate a vision for units under his or her supervision;
- Creativity, resourcefulness, and innovative thinking;
- A record of success in forging collaborative and collegial working relationships across all units of the campus;
A Master’s degree is required with a minimum of ten years of increasing responsibility and leadership experience in enrollment management with at least five of those years in a leadership role.
How to Apply
Interested individuals should send a letter of application that relates the applicant’s skills and experiences to the qualifications for the position, resume that includes notable achievements, and contact information for five references. The packet should be sent electronically to [email protected]. The subject line in email should be UNTDVP. Confidential inquiries will be received at (585) 336-4320.
Documents that must be mailed should be sent to William Spelman Executive Search at 667 Midship Circle, Webster, NY 14580. Confidentiality will be maintained and references will not be contacted without prior approval of the candidate. Priority will be given to applications received by February 17, 2014; review of applications received after this date will continue until the position is filled.
The University of North Texas at Dallas is an AA/ADA/EOE