University Information Technology (UIT) is a university-wide service organization dedicated to the strategic planning, implementation, and support of technology products and services that anticipate and meet the academic, research, and business needs of the Tufts community. UIT offers technical leadership and services to our customers with a focus on providing innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Tufts University. UIT works in partnership with schools, business units, and other academic support organizations to provide campus-wide services in the areas of academic and research technology, enterprise application systems and services, networking and telecommunications, information security, data center operations, and user support, training and outreach.
Enterprise Applications, a directorate within UIT, supports and enhances the efforts of the University in teaching and research. The department is comprised of client facing customer service professionals with experience in application development and support, project management, client/server and mainframe legacy systems management, database administration, systems administration and web development. Members of the Enterprise Applications department work with staff from each of the schools and central departments to define and develop appropriate technology in support of business requirements.
As a member of the Application Services team, the Senior Web Applications Developer will work with our clients to develop technical and business requirements, design and develop code, conduct unit and integration testing, and implement and support production environments at the application level. The Senior Web Applications Developer will need to have the ability to work in an Agile development environment, and will participate in and/or lead a cross-functional team of internal and external customers that will design, develop, and implement solutions to satisfy needs of the Tufts' community.
The successful candidate must be a highly driven, independent technologist with expert client management skills. The successful candidate may be required to participate in the all phases of implementation and ongoing support of the university's applications. Job responsibilities include: analysis, design, documentation, and testing for application development; design and maintenance of application environment, ongoing expert written and oral communication with clients, multi-tasking, project management, and providing superior client support to the Tufts University user community.
- • Bachelor's degree
- • Five (5) years of experience as an application developer maintaining web-based applications.
- • Development Tools: Eclipse, DVCS such as GIT and/or Mercurial
- • Databases: Oracle, MySQL
- • Operating Systems: Linux, Windows
- • Protocols: HTTP, TCP/IP, SSL
- • Must utilize software development best practices - including design for testability and maintainability, writing clean and robust code, promoting software reuse, sufficient unit tests, documentation, configuration management discipline, and post release maintenance/updates.
- • Must work well in a team environment. Results oriented.
- • Should use experience and analysis to develop creative and innovative solutions. Research, present and/or make recommendations on technical issues.
- • Must have commercial developer level discipline with respect to design closure, code cleanliness, unit tests, check-in/check-out process, and sensitivity to deployment dependencies with an eye on post deployment support issues.
- • Demonstrated exceptional skills in oral and written communication (both technical and non-technical) and strong organizational and project management skills.
- • Multitask oriented; great attention to detail; self-starter; goal-oriented; ability to summarize fully and concisely; strong interpersonal skills; able to work independently with minimal supervision and be able to ensure high quality productivity on a timely basis to support colleagues; possess maturity in judgment, creativity, and ability to get along with widely diverse personalities; able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and integrity.
- • Experience with Drupal or other content management systems.
- • Experience with LDAP authentication.
- • Java certification.
- • Previous experience in higher education.
- • Proven track record of developing code, testing, implementation and maintaining production environments at the application level for business applications in an agile development environment. Experience with the development of workflow applications.
- • Mobile application development experience and responsive site design.
- • Familiarity with open-source web technologies.
- • Experience with advanced analysis methodologies (data flow diagrams, case tools analysis, work & process flow diagrams, automated testing methodologies, etc).
- • Experience with supporting business applications such as document management, help desk, and other java-based and/or php-based applications.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- • This position will include occasional evenings and weekend work for upgrades and major production issues.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.